Marriage and Fiancé Visa Attorneys

At The Toribio Law Firm, our Fiancé Visa Lawyers assist clients petition for fiancés and spouses whether they are already physically present in the United States or presently residing outside of the United States. The below is a brief outline of the fiancé and marriage visa process for aliens residing outside of the United States. For a description of the process for your fiancé or spouse who has already entered the United States please reference our adjustment of status reference addressing that alternative process.


K-1 visas permit U.S. citizens to bring their foreign fiancés into the United States in order to marry. Under a K-1 visa, your foreign fiancé is allowed to reside and work in the United States. Once your fiancé enters the U.S., you and your fiancé have 90 days to marry and apply for permanent residency.

In order to obtain a K-1 visa, certain requirements must be met, such as:

  • The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen
  • Both you and your foreign fiancé are free to get legally married
  • You met your fiancé within the past two years
  • Both you and your fiancé have intentions to marry within 90 days of your fiancé’s arrival in the U.S.
  • You meet the minimum income/financial requirement
  • Your fiancé does not meet any criteria that render him/her inadmissible to the U.S.

K-2 visas are available for your fiancé’s children who are under the age of 21 and not married.

Contact our Marriage and Fiancé Visa Attorneys. If you need to obtain a K-1 or marriage visa, it is extremely wise to hire an experienced immigration attorney to help you with your petition. One mistake or omission on your petition can cause a delay or denial of your fiancé or spouse’s visa. At The Toribio Law Firm, we will guide you through the application process, and help you fill out forms, submit documents, review your petition, and answer any questions or concerns you may have. We know first hand the many benefits U.S. citizenship can bring, and therefore work relentlessly to make sure you obtain the visa you need to remain with your loved ones.


Marriage Visas permit the spouses of U.S. citizens to lawfully enter and reside in the United States. Historically, many of these visas processed were K-3 visas which allowed the immigrant spouse to enter the Unites States in order to complete the immigration process. However, currently, K-3 visas are no longer being processed for a variety of reasons. Instead, Marriage Visas are currently processed as either CR-1 (Conditional Resident) or IR-1 (Immediate Relative ) Visa. The sole difference between these visas is the amount of time you have been married. If you have been married for two years or more at the time the visa is issued then you will receive an IR-1 visa. However, if you have been married for less than two years at the time of issuance then a CR-1 Visa will be provided.

Contact our marriage and fiancé visa attorneys and immigration lawyers at The Toribio Law Firm today for an initial consultation.