A permanent resident card, also commonly referred to as a green card, is evidence that the alien bearer maintains permanent residency status in the United States. At The Toribio Law Firm, a significant portion of our practice is dedicated to assisting our clients in obtaining United States permanent resident green cards for themselves and their family members. Our Green Card attorneys specialize in finding unique solutions to assist our clients obtain their residency despite the variety of obstacles frequently placed by the U.S. Immigration process.

Permanent residency (Green Card) through family-based immigration

There are various means by which an immigrant may obtain permanent residency (green card) in the United States. The most common method of obtaining a green card is through family-based immigration. Relatives of United States citizens including spouses, children, brothers or sisters, may be eligible to obtain a permanent residency in the United States. Additionally, relatives of lawful permanent residents including spouses, children, step children and adopted children may also be able to obtain permanent residency in the United States.

Permanent residency through employment-based immigration

A second mechanism to obtain a permanent resident card is through employment-based immigration. Employment-based immigration is divided up into four separate categories. The first employment-based category (EB-1) is for priority workers including foreign nationals with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics, or foreign nationals who are outstanding professors or researchers with at least three years experience in teaching or research. The second employment-based category (EB-2) concerns professionals holding advanced degrees or at least five years of progressive post-baccalaureate experience or persons of exceptional ability in the arts, sciences or business. The third employment-based category (EB-3 Visa) covers skilled workers, professionals and other workers and their ability to obtain permanent resident cards. Finally, the fourth employment-based category (EB-4 Visa) concerns special immigrants including ministers, religious workers, as well as current or former United States government workers.

Permanent residency through investment

Obtaining a permanent resident card through investment is an alternate method for obtaining a permanent resident card in the United States. Foreign entrepreneurs may qualify in the following circumstances:

  • Invest $1 million in either a new or existing U.S. business or commercial enterprise that will create at least 10 full-time U.S. jobs, or
  • Invest $500,000 in a new or existing U.S. business or commercial enterprise that is in either a rural area or an area with a high unemployment rate, or
  • Invest in a U.S. government designated Regional Center, and
  • Prove that the investment will somehow benefit the U.S. economy

Removal of Conditions on Permanent Residency

If you obtained conditional resident status through marriage, you can apply to remove the conditions on your residency. If you fail to petition to remove the conditions, you will automatically lose your permanent resident status as of the second anniversary of the date on which you were granted conditional status, and you will become removable from the United States. If you are still married at the time you apply to have the conditions removed, you must apply jointly with your spouse, during the 90 day period immediately before your conditional residence expires.

Finally, there are a multitude of alternative mechanisms of obtaining permanent residency, including green card lottery, adoption, asylum, as well as through a private congressional bill.

At The Toribio Law Firm, we pride ourselves on our ability to assist our clients in obtaining their United States permanent resident card. If you wish to speak with an attorney concerning obtaining a permanent resident card, please contact the attorneys at The Toribio Law Firm today for a consultation at (800) 963-1558.