Petition for Alien Relative

If you are a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States who wants to petition a family member for lawful permanent residence, you must first establish your relationship to the alien relative(s) who wish to immigrate to the United States (see Family Petitions). While you may petition more than one alien relative, a separate form must be filed for each.

Filing a Petition for Alien Relative and getting it approved by USCIS is only the first step in your relative's journey towards lawful permanent residence.   Your eligible relative must still wait for a visa number to become available before they can apply for a Green Card.  If, however, you are a U.S. citizen and your eligible relative is what USCIS considers an "immediate relative," (i.e. spouses, unmarried children under the age of 21, and parents of U.S. citizen petitioners 21 or older), your eligible relative may apply for this Petition for Alien Relative and the Green Card simultaneously.  Keep in mind, though, that USCIS may approve one and deny the other.  

If you are considering petitioning a foreign relative, contact us today. We would be happy to answer any of your questions and guide you through the process.